March 11, 2010

JD's adventures

JD got her cast off after a short 4 weeks.  2 weeks in a soft cast and 2 weeks in a hard cast.  This has been so hard to believe because last fall she was in her cast for 9 weeks.  The xrays were pretty spectactular.  It's still hard to believe that she actually has 2 screws inside her body.  Crazy.
When they first took her cast off it just looked nasty.  But once we removed the tape, it was so beautiful.  I'm still amazed at how great it looks.  We're treating it with Vitamin E and some Maderma lotion but it looks so good I'm not too worried about her being self concsious about it.
JD is quite the trooper.  I'm so proud of everything she does.  Even when life seems to throw her some hard punches, she is still just as chipper as can be and willing to do whatever needs to be done.
She's so great!
So at school this week they're doing experiments with magnets.  They were split into groups of 3-4 and then asked to make a list of things that they thought maybe would attract the magnet.  They goofingly put down JD's arm and they assumed that it WOULD NOT attract but when they tried it, there was a slight tension on the magnet and she said she could feel it tickling!!!  I couldn't believe it!  She was so ecstatic about it!
She's so smart!
So this is JD playing on the I-P-O-D with her hand all wrapped.  When Paco came home from work, the girls ran to see who could give him hugs first, which they do every night.  The excitement got the best of both of them and CJ slammed the door with JD's 3 fingers right in it!  I was nervous they were broken and just dreading having to go through something so crazy all over again.  We were finally able to get JD off of the floor and rinse them under some cool water.  The skin was torn off all 3 fingers (just less than dime size) but she can thankfully bend all three fingers.  No breaks!  We go her some ice and decided why not use one of the bazillion wraps we have.  So she had this nice ice cast.  She was so mad that I was taking this picture.  I just like having memories of everything!  Even if I choose not to share everything.  Someday they'll appreciate it.  I hope!
                  the hoolahoop split         the bike break                
this is 2 weeks after surgery
this is 4 weeks after surgery. 
it's amazing to me how fast these bones are filling in!

3 comments:

Emily Mecham said...

She is one tough girl! I have a plate & 2 screws in my jaw, and super sensitive metal detectors at airport will sometimes pick them up - she should try it! :)

Lindsay said...

Jos is definately a trooper! She's such a cute girl! That story about the fingers getting smashed gave me chills. ouch!

Ruth said...

Wow so the pins are permanent huh? What a tough chick she is! Kids are just so resilient!